Sunday, October 3, 2010

Rage, venezia, love and hate

Went on my very first weekend excursion - Jimmy, Alex, Laura and I went to Venice for the weekend! It's like 5-7 hrs away and we took the night bus there and back. Aside from being freeeeezing cold (at least compared to roma where today it is still a balmy 75 degrees F) everything was just basically too beautiful for words. Luckily my camera battery died after one day there so the pictures that I do have are limited, and it's going to be a bit before I get them online (I'm the worst) but we had such a great time. But for all of its beauty, venezia is absolutely impossible to navigate- great for just wandering around, but if you actually have a destination, forget about it. So that's why I was raging for awhile, because we were cold and tired and had 4 hours til the train and no hotel room to stay in anymore.

At orientation we were taught about the different phases of adjusting to living in a foreign culture, and I've been having my first bouts of rage that were particularly intense getting lost in the tiny alleys of venice, but overall everything's going great. We got into rome this morning at 7 am and then went to a flea market that we'd heard about in trastevere. If you know me, you know that I love the thrifting, and this flea market was a dream come true. so much great stuff. A bag for 3 euro! 2 scarves for a euro a piece! a harmonica for 5 euro! a hat for 9 euro! oh man. looks like I know where I'll be spending all of my sundays from here on out.

-We wanted to go to the flea market last sunday but saturday night ended up staying at the discoteca until we missed THE LAST NIGHT BUS and had to kill an hour getting caffe at termini until the subway opened at 5:30! My first foray into the club district of testacchio was a riotous success and I look forward to much more of it

-Something new that I particularly love is a breakfast food called pizzetta, which is basically a pastry with sauce and cheese. I think I called it a piazzalle ("town square") when I went to pay though. But I know a bunch of verbs now and how to conjugate them in the present tense!

fall break is coming up soon so who knows where that'll take me. me and alex were thinking morrocco and somewhere in spain and/or paris. we'll see

No comments:

Post a Comment